At The Principal Collaborative, all New Orleans public school principals will have the opportunity to
come together, engage, and network in a community environment, while gaining resources, systems,
and strategies from other principals across the city that can be used at their own schools.
The purpose of these convenings is to support principals in the following ways:
- Developing collaboration and community among school principals
Leading a school is rewarding but challenging work, and too often, principals find themselves isolated. The Principal Collaborative offers principals a space to network with others in the same role and build professional contacts, sounding boards, and community relationships.
- Elevating best practices of schools that already exist locally
Our schools are doing innovative work. The Principal Collaborative allows them to share it. These convenings offer principals a way to problem-solve common issues that occur in our New Orleans school community and come away with tools, materials, and strategies for addressing them.
- Recognizing and celebrating our principals’ great work
The Principal Collaborative aims to showcase and acknowledge the important achievements in our community of schools by highlighting school principals and honoring them at an end-of-year celebration dinner.
More info coming soon.
There were three convenings during the school year and an annual dinner:
- Convening 1: October 1, 2020 (virtual)
- Convening 2: January 2021
- Convening 3: March 2021
- Principal Celebration Dinner: Late May 2021
Convening topics focused on current educational issues:
- Working Through Hybrid Learning and Building Contingency Plans
- Ensuring Culturally-Affirming Environments for Students
- Managing Leadership Teams
Prominent speakers included local leaders and national education experts.
- Mayor LaToya Cantrell
- NSNO CEO Patrick Dobard
- Frederick A. Douglass High School Principal Towana Pierre-Floyd
- Former Louisiana Superintendent of Education John White
- Distinguished Professor of Education and Founder of the Institute for the Transformation of Learning at Marquette University Howard Fuller
2021 Info Coming Soon
Each convening is open to all New Orleans principals and will include the following:
- a distinguished leader to open each convening;
- a host school principal who will share tried and true best practices, tools, and resources; and
- an opportunity for principals to choose the type of engagement that aligns to their learning styles. Collaboration options may vary according to site type or years of experience so that principals can join a collaborative experience that best fits their needs.
“We need more collaboration among School Leaders in the city. To work together and problem solve through similar issues that we are facing.”
– Network School Principal of 8-10 Years
Selection of Host Principals
Host principals are principals who have best
practices, tools, and resources that they will share
with the New Orleans school leader community.
They will host principals by presenting their
materials and resources to the group, while
clarifying use, leading discussion, and answering
They will provide fellow principals with virtual
and/or tangible access to resources.
Host Principal Acknowledgements
- Feature on Talking NOLA Schools radio show with NSNO’s CEO, Patrick Dobard
- School staff will receive a catered breakfast or lunch
- Prestigious banner for display at school